From Wikipedia, Tin Can, now officially known as the Experience API (xAPI), is an e-learning software specification that allows learning content and learning systems to speak to each other in a manner that records and tracks all types of learning experiences. Much more information about Tin Can can be found at tincanapi.com.
While the Tin Can specification allows the tracking of "everything" its implementation within Comet is limited in a number of ways. These limitations include:
- Lessons may only be tracked if they are launched from the LRS
- Comet was tested for compatibility with the sample lessons from tincanapi.com
- Tin Can will typically send data formatted as JSON. This means that you're web server needs to be configured to correctly handle JSON.
- The intent for Tin Can within Comet is to allow the use of tin can compliant lessons within Comet (and not for Comet to communicate with another LMS or LRS).
- Each tin can compliant lesson that you upload to Comet must have a unique activity ID.
- To track a 'for credit' lesson properly the lesson will need to send at least a raw score and, if the score is not out of 100, a "max" score.
- To track the completion of a non 'for credit' lesson the verb "completed" with the appropriately activity ID.
© Copyright 2016 Apixel Pty Ltd, All rights reserved